Best pratices for configuring a listserv or new mailing list using University-provided services:
- Use a university-provided mailing list service
- Only configure the default setting to keep archives to yes if you have a reason to maintain archives for a majority of lists
- Configure the default setting for access archives to private
- Notify subscribers of the mailing list archive status (enabled or not and, if enabled, public or private) upon sign up
- Notify subscribers to any changes to the list or archive status (enabled or not and, if enabled, public or private)
- Mailing list server configuration must meet Information Security policy for data classification levels
Remember, list owners can control whether or not messages are archived and whether or not those archives are publicly accessible. Contact your local IT Service Desk with any questions.