Accessibility on the Harvard homepage
You may have noticed that the University recently featured The Accessible World as the In Focus theme of the Harvard.edu home page. The page showcased a collection of research, tools, and resources exploring the work being done around this important issue, all around campus.
The page itself was also designed to show some of the elements needed for an accessible webpage. As you scroll down the page you'll notice boxes calling out how accessible elements have been used. You can then use these resources to learn how to apply them to your own websites:
- Alt text for images so people with a visual impairment can understand and appreciate what photos and illustrations add to the content
- Transcripts or captions so people who can’t listen to audio content can still access the content
- Descriptive links so people using screen readers can decide if they want to click the link
- Headings so people using screen readers can easily navigate sections of a page
- Color contrast to make the page readable for people with low vision
After you've reviewed these resources, test how much you've learned by taking our short accessibility quiz!
Where can I get help?
Global Accessibility Awareness Day at Harvard and beyond
If you found yourself inspired by The Accessible World, you can join us in celebrating the 11th Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on Thursday, May 19, 2022! The purpose of GAAD is to get everyone talking, thinking, and learning about digital access and inclusion, and the more than one billion people around the world with disabilities and impairments.
Upcoming trainings and events
- Creating Accessible PDFs: April 28, 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- Creating Accessible Documents: May 10, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- DAS Office Hours: May 13, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Digital Accessibility for Content Creators: May 17, 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- Introduction to Digital Accessibility and Harvard's Policies: May 19, 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- Web Accessibility for Developers: June 9, 10:00 AM
- DAS Summer Open House: June 10, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM