Also known as: Emergency Messaging and Services, Blue Light Phones.
HUIT – Telecom Operations provides provisioning, administration, and support for a variety of emergency communication devices throughout the University. These devices provide emergency call-in to Campus Police and other safety and emergency services via phones, alarms, and panic buttons distributed throughout campus. HUIT-Telecom Operations coordinates with all stakeholders including, customer, HUPD, University Disabilities Services, and associated vendors for the proper connectivity and/or installation of these devices.
To order this service, please contact Telecom Services.
Key Features and Benefits
- Blue Light/Emergency phones are designed for high visibility and allow quick emergency access to HUPD dispatch, non-emergency parking garage operations, or other locations on campus and in some cases local E911 public safety answering points (PSAP). See Blue Light/Emergency Phones Guidelines under Related Documents
- Burglar Alarms/Panic Button for high-risk locations and personal protection
- Other Emergency Services include fire alarm circuits, cellular devices, and satellite phones
All Schools and Departments University-wide
Requirements and Limitations
Customers are responsible for:
- Determining needs for equipment/services
- Contacting Telecom Operations at 5-4900 to request service
- Authorizing work and associated costs
- Reporting outages
The cost of emergency communications devices varies significantly. All installations are different and many require a site visit to determine specific need. Pricing is based on the following components
- Phone Line/Equipment
- Wiring for telephone line
- Wiring for electrical power
- Trenching for outdoor installations
- Installation Labor
- Vendor costs
Last Updated: June 12th, 2013