The IT Academy offers Harvard IT staff the opportunity to participate in instructor-led courses and self-paced activities that will deepen subject matter expertise and broaden knowledge of Harvard's unique technology landscape.
The IT Academy is built on the model of the "T-shaped professional,” who are characterized by their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines (the horizontal), and their deep technical expertise (the vertical). These professionals are in high demand in today’s workforce.
IT Project Management
The IT Academy offers courses in essential (the horizontal) and technical (the vertical) skills at 2 levels.
Level 1 (Learn) courses combine the definition of a common language at Harvard, an introduction of tools and techniques needed to successfully implement the new skill, and a foundational overview of key concepts.
Level 2 (Apply) courses provide you with the opportunity to receive additional resources and support from both peers and Harvard subject matter experts to apply the foundational skills learned in Level 1 to your role and work situations.
Looking for some professional development and to enhance your career? Become an IT Academy Facilitator!
As an IT Academy facilitator, you will:
- Facilitate IT Academy created courses with a co-facilitator (class duration varies from 3 – 9 hours, depending on class you facilitate)
- Participants are IT staff across Harvard
- Build a network of IT Professionals across all schools and units at Harvard
- Be viewed as an expert in your subject matter by your peers
- Have the opportunity to network with the CIO Council and other senior leadership
- Gain valuable facilitation and public speaking skills and training
- Be an integral contributor to an important Harvard-wide initiative
- Contribute to enhancing the IT Academy’s course offerings
- Have fun!
What are the requirements?
- Participate in a train the trainer session to get certified (these sessions are 1 – 3 full days depending on the certification requirements. Please email the IT Academy for specifics)
- Commit to facilitating 1-2 classes per quarter. The IT Academy will work with you and your availability to schedule these classes with a co-facilitator to share the course content. Our classes range from one ½ day to two full days
- Meet with your co-facilitator in advance of your class for 1-2 hours to prepare and practice
- Participate in quarterly Facilitator Forum with other IT Academy facilitators to share your feedback and help us enhance the IT Academy facilitator experience
- Approval from your manager
- Contribute to course enhancements (optional, but appreciated)
- Be open to feedback and have a Service Mindset
Note: Due to COVID-19, all IT Academy classes will be delivered virtually until restrictions are lifted.